Author Topic: Getting There  (Read 6884 times)

Offline Hero

• View Profile
Re: Getting There
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 10:20:21 PM »
"Beware your tongue.  I do not take kindly to insults.  Were it not for our current endeavor, I would turn you into a pile of ash.  As it is, you are on this mission for a reason.  As to that reason, I can only assume it is to rut with locals should we need to gain their confidence in that way.  As to your question [now speaking as to a child] Divine magic is different than the Arcane Mastery we wield.  Divine casters are given access to spells through their faith.  We Arcane spellcasters harness the raw power of magic and shape it to our will.  I could lecture, at length, about the reasons this magic or that magic would or would not work.  But it would not be worth the breath to do so.  I only posited an answer to your question, thinking, mistakenly, you would be wise enough to comprehend my explanation."
Oh please, Supreme Sorcerer of Overwhelming Power, I meant no disrespect! I was simply pointing out the similarities in personalities as a mathematical curiosity. I surely could not stand against your Supreme Overwhelming Power! If I only I spent the past 60+ years of my life living amongst the foremost practitioners of arcane magic on Habololy and learning highly effective methods to combat them. But alas, I have not! Forgive my insolence.

Please lecture away! If I could learn but a small fraction from you and your Supreme Overwhelming Power, I would consider myself blessed by Smofarf and all the deities of Habololy. Wait let me get out my notebook so I don't miss anything...but please, make sure to use small words..." [waiting with a genuine? look of eagerness]
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 10:23:03 PM by Hero »

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 12:52:50 AM »
When does this dicussion actually happen because I assume it wouldn't happen right after we leave the astral plane.  Since most are at varying states of near death and people entered the portal at different times.

Assuming it is before the fight then Cloud weighs in on the resurgence.  The spell resurgence will not remove the temporal stasis spell.  However, it can allow the person to resist the spell temporaily and if they are able to then they can act briefly before they have to try and resist the spell again.   The are constantly fighting of the effects of the temporal stasis and even the most strong of will eventually succumb again.  That being said we assume a being of god like power or a even a god cast the spell for Luigi and Montaron to succumb to it so I don't know if any of them will be able to resist its effects even for the brief time that resurgence allows.

OOC:  Resurgence allows another save.  If they make the save they can act for a round but then next round they have to make a save again or be back under temporal stasis.  The freedom last until they fall the save again. 

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 06:50:55 AM »
Oh please, Supreme Sorcerer of Overwhelming Power, I meant no disrespect! I was simply pointing out the similarities in personalities as a mathematical curiosity. I surely could not stand against your Supreme Overwhelming Power! If I only I spent the past 60+ years of my life living amongst the foremost practitioners of arcane magic on Habololy and learning highly effective methods to combat them. But alas, I have not! Forgive my insolence.

Please lecture away! If I could learn but a small fraction from you and your Supreme Overwhelming Power, I would consider myself blessed by Smofarf and all the deities of Habololy. Wait let me get out my notebook so I don't miss anything...but please, make sure to use small words..." [waiting with a genuine? look of eagerness]

"Words have not been invented that are small enough for you to understand what I could teach you.  Stick to what you are good at, swinging bits of metal at things and asking insightful questions, even if you get an answer you don't understand every once and a while."

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2015, 08:06:28 AM »
I think this conversation would have happened before you leave for the astral plane, when you were discussing ways to free the imprisoned.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2015, 08:36:35 AM »
When does this dicussion actually happen because I assume it wouldn't happen right after we leave the astral plane.  Since most are at varying states of near death and people entered the portal at different times.

Assuming it is before the fight then Cloud weighs in on the resurgence.  The spell resurgence will not remove the temporal stasis spell.  However, it can allow the person to resist the spell temporaily and if they are able to then they can act briefly before they have to try and resist the spell again.   The are constantly fighting of the effects of the temporal stasis and even the most strong of will eventually succumb again.  That being said we assume a being of god like power or a even a god cast the spell for Luigi and Montaron to succumb to it so I don't know if any of them will be able to resist its effects even for the brief time that resurgence allows.

Thank you for the lecture Professor, but as I stated earlier, for that spell to even begin to work, we would need to touch the recipient of the spell.  Depending on their current whereabouts, touching them may not even be possible.  [looking at Vega and speaking slowly] And if we can't touch them, we can not cast the spell on them. 

This also assumes that they are under the effect of the Temporal Stasis spell.  There are other spells that do the same thing but are easier to undo.  Amber Sarcophagus comes to mind.  If they are under the effects of that spell, all we would have to do is destroy the amber they are encased in and they would be free.  Although, that spell is usually only active for a number days, a fortnight at the least, and then the captives are freed when the spell expires.  There are ways to extend the duration of the spell, but we all know that. [Marcus looks around] well, most of us know that.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2015, 08:58:01 AM »
We have to assume the information we received from "The Collector" is correct until otherwise proven wrong.  I can't believe I just said that. There are hundreds of spells of ways to imprison people arcane and other wise so lets just assume that they are in temporal stasis because that is the information we were given.  Also lets assume that we are able to get close enough to them to use touch spells with our magic I don't think there is a place they could put them where we couldn't reach them with the magic we have at our disposal.  However, like I said earlier I don't think resurgence is the plan of action to get them out of where they are.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2015, 09:43:08 AM »
We have to assume the information we received from "The Collector" is correct until otherwise proven wrong.  I can't believe I just said that. There are hundreds of spells of ways to imprison people arcane and other wise so lets just assume that they are in temporal stasis because that is the information we were given.  Also lets assume that we are able to get close enough to them to use touch spells with our magic I don't think there is a place they could put them where we couldn't reach them with the magic we have at our disposal.  However, like I said earlier I don't think resurgence is the plan of action to get them out of where they are.

Shondo looks deep in thought as you all discuss the deep studies of arcane thought.. He looks ready to speak.. but catches himself, thinks some more nods his head in agreement as he doggy paddles forward in the weird astral plane.  Then he puts a careful finger to his chin and speaks.. " It's too late to do much because we've already left.. Save you egos until we get there and find what presents itself to us.. Willy and " he holds up the mug sized wooden cage " The Mighty Mantis Agree!.. that's three votes! "

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 09:37:55 PM »
[looking at Vega and speaking slowly] And if we can't touch them, we can not cast the spell on them. 
I write that down. "Thank you so much, Supreme Sorcerer! I am learning so much from you already!"

OOC:  Resurgence allows another save.  If they make the save they can act for a round but then next round they have to make a save again or be back under temporal stasis.  The freedom last until they fall the save again. 
Where's this from? SPC version of resurgence says if you make the save the effect is negated. Temporal Stasis is Fort negates.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2015, 11:01:31 PM »
I write that down. "Thank you so much, Supreme Sorcerer! I am learning so much from you already!"
Where's this from? SPC version of resurgence says if you make the save the effect is negated. Temporal Stasis is Fort negates.

That is from DM.  The Temporal Stasis states that the magic has to be removed, which is unique wording.  Twenty castings of a 1st level spell should not be able to auto end an 8th level spell that required touch, SR, and save.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2015, 11:22:57 AM »
That is from DM.  The Temporal Stasis states that the magic has to be removed, which is unique wording.  Twenty castings of a 1st level spell should not be able to auto end an 8th level spell that required touch, SR, and save.

Shonodo does the backstroke through the air.. whispering to someone smiling as he passes you each..