I don't care one way or the other
0 (0%)
I want to switch unless the new rules are worse than the current ones
2 (22.2%)
I want to switch
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: July 17, 2014, 05:04:15 PM

Author Topic: New D&D  (Read 21506 times)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
Re: New D&D
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 05:12:25 PM »
I want to note, that based on the rule sheet I have read online, switching to the new edition would require a significant forward jump in the time frame...which would mean the vast majority of current characters would not be able to be played.

That could change when the full version is released, but based on the 30 or so pages I read so far, that is the case.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Terrorshard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 05:18:06 PM »
Switching editions is a pain.  It is the same pain as cleaning out a hoarders attic.  It is a pain we don't want to go through.  But it is a pain we are better off for when it is all over.  A fresh set of rules, some fresh character designs and ideas, and some fresh content.  I'm all for it assuming it isn't terrible, which from what I have read, I don't think it is.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 05:33:41 PM »
I don't have a lot of interest in learning a new set of rules but more importantly I don't have any interest in discarding all of the story lines I have worked on for the last ten years as both a player and DM.

If you consider all the work we have put to paper we have barely scratched the surface of using it in game play.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 05:45:26 PM »
Not advocating either stance here, just giving information:

We would have to prematurely end some stories, but not all as it would take one to two years to convert.  So we would have time to wrap of some things, perhaps 40-50%.

For those of you who like epic level adventures, a switch would decrease those, as we are now just getting in to some of them in the current campaigns.

It may seem early to address this, however, this sort of change would require years of preparation on my part, so the sooner I know, the better.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 08:33:17 PM »
For what it's worth, I'm really enjoying the current stories and characters we're all using.  I don't know about you guys, but I really want to see my characters reach epic level.  In particular, I really want to see what happens with Malchia and the rest of the collective spellcasters. 

That being said, I'll play whatever the group agrees upon.  It's better to play any edition than not at all.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 09:37:02 PM »
Switching doesn't mean you lose your character and their story.  Remember cloud Luigi and Russell are from second edition.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 09:45:47 PM »
Switching doesn't mean you lose your character and their story.  Remember cloud Luigi and Russell are from second edition.

Their story will exist in history.  There will be few characters that remain from another jump, although some might.  I guarantee no time travel.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 09:51:55 PM »
That is true but you also mentioned since you don't want to do a time jump that we would keep are current character and stories so it sounds like the jump to 5th edition if we possibly are it would be in mechanics only

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 09:54:36 PM »
A jump to 5th edition would have to be on where we keep the current story lines and characters.  Which would mean only a mechanics change.  Correct.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 09:55:34 PM »
Only one voter left...who is the slacker?

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 10:05:16 PM »
They are clearly the exception to the rule.

For me, to expand upon what I have above, first I feel like there are far too many story lines that need not only to come to a climax but deserve to be explored after the fact. Second, having created over a hundred NPC's with numerous unresolved story lines I'd like to see some of those played out as well.

If the new system is a distinct improvement we can buy in now and switch when we reach a more natural transition point.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »
Now I'm confused. Are we just talking about a mechanics change or a reboot?

If you guys, the rules evaluators, love the new rules I have no real objection to switching. Hopefully we wouldn't have to do a whole sale mechanics revamp of all the prestige classes.

Offline Terrorshard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 10:48:25 PM »
Now I'm confused. Are we just talking about a mechanics change or a reboot?

If you guys, the rules evaluators, love the new rules I have no real objection to switching. Hopefully we wouldn't have to do a whole sale mechanics revamp of all the prestige classes.

Unfortunately we probably would and this would be the worst of the growing pains in my opinion.  The best I can say is I would be on point getting the prestige classes updated to the new rules and make sure they still had the same playstyle.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 11:18:58 PM »
Has anyone pre-ordered the new books?