I don't care one way or the other
0 (0%)
I want to switch unless the new rules are worse than the current ones
2 (22.2%)
I want to switch
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: July 17, 2014, 05:04:15 PM

Author Topic: New D&D  (Read 21636 times)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
Re: New D&D
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2014, 09:18:51 AM »
They managed to make grappling worse. Bravo.

From what I understand, it is much harder to get a higher bonus in anything, so it would be more difficult to dominate a grapple.  Also, I assume there is still an AoO to negate a grapple check if the attacker does not have Improved Grapple.  Then again, there are so few feats that may not be the case.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2014, 02:42:50 PM »
The DMG will have options to add more complexity to the game.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2014, 02:45:01 PM »
There are currently no prestige classes and they are not expected, although they made decide to add them into the game.

This would be a significant problem.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2014, 03:25:12 PM »
There are currently no prestige classes and they are not expected, although they made decide to add them into the game.

This would be a significant problem.

The strikes keep coming

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2014, 05:07:14 PM »
The strikes keep coming

Strikes?? More like claymores

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2014, 07:48:06 PM »
I was under the impression that prestige classes were sort of mixed in with the base classes.  More like picking a base structure and then building upon it with customized feats, ability points, and alternate paths with specialized focus in certain things.  Kind of like kits in second edition.  If it's done right, it may not be that bad.  I guess we'll just have to wait until we get our hands on it next week to see all the details.  Asinjin's one-off adventure idea is the best bet to play test it.  That should be interesting.   

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2014, 09:45:46 AM »
The describe prestige classes being incorporated that way potentially, and for a few it may work that way; however, for most it would fall short of being able to accomplish what is accomplished with a prestige class.

The class features function the same way we use the three types of monks or the sorcerer bloodlines.

There doesn't appear to be prohibition that would prevent use from just incorporating the prestige classes as additionally classes to multicast into; or as Terrorshard suggested to me, creating feat paths that correspond to a prestige class.  Feats are generally more involved then in 3rd, meaning that one feat does more than just give a +1 to something.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2014, 02:40:11 PM »
I just got an email saying my PHB has shipped.... ;D

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2014, 09:05:01 AM »
It seems like they have a mechanic to add prestige classes and that is all we need.  It isn't like we are going to use their prestige classes anyway. 

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2014, 05:46:42 PM »
Ability scores cap at 30.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2014, 06:18:39 PM »
Ability scores cap at 30.
The way I read it was that they cap off at 18 for "normal" people, 20 for adventurers and 30 for monsters and divine beings.  Page 173.  That makes it easier to reach your peak, but sucks a little of the fun out of evolving an ability to a higher level.

BTW, did anyone see where spell level has any impact on saves?  The only relevance I can find for spell level is if someone has some sort of protection up that shields from certain spell levels such as globe of invulnerability.  Otherwise, it doesn't seem to matter.  I only see spell DC as 8 + proficiency + modifier.  If you can only max your stats as high as 20 (+5), then the way I interpret the new rules is that you couldn't have a DC greater than 19 (8+ max proficiency 6 + max ability modifier 5).  There's something the fighter can take that allows STR to get as high as 24 (+7), but that's about it unless you're a god.  It doesn't seem to matter whether you cast a cantrip or a 9th level spell. 

From what I can see, there's no spell resistance either.

There's also some lax descriptions on some of the spells.  For instance, Disintegrate describes what happens to a target on a failed save, but not on a successful save.   

And another thing...have you noticed that Magic Missile no longer hits unerringly?  It doesn't specifically say it doesn't, but nor does it say anywhere in the description that it does.  Not cool.   

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2014, 09:44:23 PM »
I like the ability cap at 30.  That was one of the main ways to "break" 3.5.  We had to tweek so many abilities and feats so they didn't get over powered at high ability scores.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2014, 11:01:55 PM »
The way I read it was that they cap off at 18 for "normal" people, 20 for adventurers and 30 for monsters and divine beings.  Page 173.  That makes it easier to reach your peak, but sucks a little of the fun out of evolving an ability to a higher level.

I think having a cap is pointless, since there is no way to even get to 30.  From what I see, spells don't generally give you increased ability scores, but rather advantage for the ability scores' checks.

I don't like that you can't go above 20 and yet get bunches of ability points to add.  I think that will lead to characters that have above average in every ability score., not very good and bad ones.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2014, 11:03:50 PM »
BTW, did anyone see where spell level has any impact on saves?  The only relevance I can find for spell level is if someone has some sort of protection up that shields from certain spell levels such as globe of invulnerability.  Otherwise, it doesn't seem to matter.  I only see spell DC as 8 + proficiency + modifier.  If you can only max your stats as high as 20 (+5), then the way I interpret the new rules is that you couldn't have a DC greater than 19 (8+ max proficiency 6 + max ability modifier 5).  There's something the fighter can take that allows STR to get as high as 24 (+7), but that's about it unless you're a god.  It doesn't seem to matter whether you cast a cantrip or a 9th level spell. 

I don't see that spell level has any impact on saves.

In addition, the concept of caster level is gone.  A spell's duration and range are set.  The exception is dispelling.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2014, 11:05:46 PM »
From what I can see, there's no spell resistance either.

I could not find it either, I find that to be an issue for conversion, although not a inherent problem with mechanics.

Additionally, there is no longer arcane spell failure for armor.  If a wizard is proficient in armor, he can cast spells in it.  I would house rule armor arcane spell failure back into existence.