House Rules > Tournament Rule Issues

Limited and Regular Wish

(1/4) > >>

Asinjin:
We have been misusing the wishes for other spells rules by not having them cost xp.

To add it in, but not completely, as at least I think its a little silly to cost 300xp for a 1st level spell, I suggest the following:

When using a wish spell to re-create another spell, the caster must expend xp equal to 50 times the level of the spell being re-created.

Windblade:
I agree but for 7th & 8th l would have a different rate because wish cost more.  So I would use 500

Malchia:
I don't think we're playing Limited Wish incorrectly.  If you scrutinize the text, you'll see that only when duplicating a spell that uses XP do you have to spend that cost or 300 XP (whichever is more).  It doesn't cost XP if the spell you're replicating doesn't cost XP originally.  I've bolded the sentence that explains this.

Limited Wish  Universal 
Level:  Sor/Wiz 7 
Components:  V, S, XP 
Casting time:  1 standard action 
Range:  See text
Target, Effect, or

Area:  See text 
Duration:  See text 
Saving Throw:  None; see text 
Spell Resistance:  Yes 

A limited wish lets you create nearly any type of effect. For example, a limited wish can do any of the following things.

Duplicate any sorcerer/wizard spell of 6th level or lower, provided the spell is not of a school prohibited to you.
Duplicate any other spell of 5th level or lower, provided the spell is not of a school prohibited to you.
Duplicate any sorcerer/wizard spell of 5th level or lower, even if it’s of a prohibited school.
Duplicate any other spell of 4th level or lower, even if it’s of a prohibited school.
Undo the harmful effects of many spells, such as geas/quest or insanity.
Produce any other effect whose power level is in line with the above effects, such as a single creature automatically hitting on its next attack or taking a –7 penalty on its next saving throw.
A duplicated spell allows saving throws and spell resistance as normal (but the save DC is for a 7th-level spell). When a limited wish duplicates a spell that has an XP cost, you must pay that cost or 300 XP, whichever is more. When a limited wish spell duplicates a spell with a material component that costs more than 1,000 gp, you must provide that component.

XP Cost: 300 XP or more (see above).

Hero:

--- Quote from: Malchia on April 21, 2014, 12:24:55 PM ---
Components:  V, S, XP
XP Cost: 300 XP or more (see above).

--- End quote ---

XP is a listed component, meaning you need to provide it to cast the spell just as you do verbal or somatic components.

And the line at the bottom of the spell description says it requires 300 xp or more, which to me says the spell always costs at least 300 xp. I read the line the body of the spell description as clarifying what happens when the duplicated spell costs less than 300 xp.

Malchia:

--- Quote from: Hero on April 21, 2014, 06:24:19 PM ---XP is a listed component, meaning you need to provide it to cast the spell just as you do verbal or somatic components.

And the line at the bottom of the spell description says it requires 300 xp or more, which to me says the spell always costs at least 300 xp. I read the line the body of the spell description as clarifying what happens when the duplicated spell costs less than 300 xp.

--- End quote ---
It has to list XP in the components because XP is sometimes required.  It specifically says 300 XP or more (see above).  The "see above" part is the part that states it's only necessary to sacrifice XP if the spell your casting originally requires XP.  The risk is that the original spell may only require 25 XP, but with this spell, 300 is the price you pay.  If it requires more than 300 then that's what you pay.  I'm not trying t be difficult, I simply see it very clearly as the way I'm interpreting it.  No matter how many times I read it, I don't see it as always costing 300 XP. 

I translate the "see above" part the same way I see saves in a spell description.  For example, some spells say Will negates; Fort partial (see above) where the Fort save is only applicable if the initial Will save was failed.  The "see above" part describes the times when the Fort save is necessary, not as being needed every time the spell is cast.  In the case of Limited Wish, I translate the "see above" part to mean the XP cost is only needed when replicating a spell that normally requires an XP sacrifice. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version