Author Topic: A Tragic Victory  (Read 7646 times)

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: A Tragic Victory
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 04:21:49 PM »
From Grants perspective:

We found a area that we liked to set our battle line.  Grant, with the banner strapped to his back, waits, out int he open, with Bartlett waiting for the beast to emerge from the forest into the clearing.  The rest wait in the cover of the trees to surround the beast and attack.  With his blessings and items, Grant notices the arrival of 10-15 Fey.  They don't appear to be doing much so Grant does nothing, not wanting to give away his hidden allies.  He sees a member of his group, on the right, who must have noticed the Fey too, move up and engage the Fey.  Still he waits for the beast to arrive.  By this time everyone has cast all of their spells except for the ones whos duration is measured in rounds, they figure that they will have sufficient time to cast them when they hear the beast getting close.

All of a sudden the beast bursts through the other side of the clearing.  it is magically silenced or some trick of the Fey make it sound like it is still far away.  Grant, begins to cast his spells, the others move to engage the beast and the Fey.  His allies deliver massive blows to the beast and the beast returns them in kind.  The beast breathes noxious fumes from it's mouth and from the trees a gem is thrown by one of the Fey.  When the gem connects with the noxious mist, it turns into a frigid blast.

Still Grant Prays...

The Fey begin to dispel the magics that the group has cast, the tide of battle is turning in the Fey's favor, Shadow and Valizar are forced away from their respective foes.

Still Grant prays....

THe Fey and the beast leave Grant alone, most likely because he has not moved since the beginning of battle, that is for the best.  For when Grant finishes his final prayer, the heavens begin to tremble.

The Mad Beast goes into a rage and takes down Bartlett and Lenny.  Shadow sprints in and appears to stun the beast.  Grant focuses all of his mighty energy and unleashes the full Wrath of Tyrogatore.  He breaks one of the beasts legs with his first mighty blow.  The rest of Grants attacks are so fearsome that many of the Fey flee in terror of what they have just witnessed.  Those that remain immediately converge over the beast and try to heal it. 

Claude had other plans.

With the Beast reeling, Claude moves in with his sword.  Claude stabs the beast cleanly through the neck then with his next stroke, takes off the beasts head.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 06:30:03 PM »
Another good rendition of events.  25xp for Grant.

Since you may have to get back to deal with a threat to the estate soon after the battle, make a note of the damage you took (hp and otherwise) and your spells.  It is two hours or more later, so only spells that last hours or days are still active.

When you tell me how many hp you are down, I will find out how many spells Haas has to use to get everyone back.

Haas has used 3 - 7th; 3 - 6th; 1 - 5th; 5 - 4th; 4 - 3rd; 4 - 2nd; 6 - 1st.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 07:20:24 PM »
Valizar's perspective:

The Great Lizard grants Haas and Grant permission to bless us all with mighty spells.  Claude also uses some watered down versions of enchantments he's forced to pry from magic items and medicine vials due to his lack of faith in Tyrogatore.  Nonetheless, we all become bigger, stronger, and braver.  Although it pains Valizar to do so, he waits patiently aside Claude, Ash, and Predator to ambush the Mad Beast.  While waiting, Ash noticed something unnatural off to our side.  He scouted ahead and found some puny Fey hiding like cowards preparing their filthy magic.  Ash calls Valizar over, so he prays to the Mighty Lizard Lord for additional strength.  Tyrogatore, recognizing Valizar's request as a sensible one, answers his prayer.  Claude makes Ash invisible with his crutch...or wand...Valizar isn't quite sure.  Valizar sees Ash covered in some sort of twinkling light, so he decides the wisest thing to do would be attack the area he sees the light coming from.  He knows deep down inside that Haas would be proud of his display of wisdom in this instance.  His insight is rewarded when he feels the satisfying snap of Fey bones and hears the dying yelp of its final breath.  Valizar is slightly saddened at how easily the creature crumbled under his might.  Ash fires his arrows into the Fey cowards and pins them to trees.  Valizar laughs as this is quite amusing.  He then proceeds to pop their little heads like sour grapes.  The Fey cast spells and make Ash clumsy.  Then they cast more spells and try to make Valizar weak.  Although they succeed, they underestimate Tyrogatore's strength and fail to prepare for their inevitable deaths.  Valizar, Ash, and Claude grant them one way tickets to the afterlife until we notice the Mad Beast crash through the clearing.  Valizar sees the area go fuzzy and cold but can hear the sounds of combat.  He hears battle cries from Shadow, Bartlett, and Lennie and knows that the beast will soon be sent to its death to answer for its sins.  After dispatching what Fey he could reach, Valizar notices Grant's prayers get answered and then witnesses one of the most ferocious assaults ever unleashed on an enemy of Tyrogaotre.  Grant merely wills his punishment on the Mad Beast and its bones shatter, it cries like a little girl, and convulses like a drug-dependent worshiper of Tommimao.  After seeing this, Valizar feels something wet escape one of his eyes and trickle down his check.  Unfamiliar with what this could mean, he dismisses it as a Fey trick.  He then charges the beast.  Once in the melee, he witnesses Bartlett's limp body and sees Lennie fall in glorious combat.  He knows they will have a special place in the afterlife set aside for them for their great deeds.  Valizar unleashes several attacks upon the beast as does several others.  Shadow erupts from the flanking side of Valizar and knocks the beast silly.  Seeing the beast losing its temper in an uncontrolled rage only fuels Valizar's convictions.  The assault continues until the beast begins to wobble.  At this point, Claude enters the fray with his beast slaying sword at the ready.  The weapon appears to be alive and eager to pierce the beasts hide.  It is granted its wish as Claude strikes down the beast with a mighty swing and then finishes it with another mighty thrust that removes the creatures head.  Witnessing Tyrogatore's glory causes the cowardly Fey to flee in terror.  We hear shotgun blasts and hearty Dunbarian laughter in the distance as Reik dispatches some of them.  Once the dust settles, we collect our dead and begin to strip the beast of its valuables.  A strange flock of birds tells Haas that the estate is being attacked by Gnolls.  We must go back there to dispense Tyrogatore's justice upon the foul creatures.             
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 12:07:03 AM by Malchia »

Offline master po

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 08:15:34 PM »
A nervous Claude takes his place amongst the group and prepares for what is to come.  He is definitely feeling like the underdog here.  When they group hears the Mad Beast in the distance he readies himself the best he can and waits for the creature to show itself.  When Ash spots the Fey in the trees he again does what he can to help Ash deal with the threat.  However hard he tried he wasn't able to see enough to join the fray yet.

When the beast bursts into clearing Claude lets out an audible gasp(cry sounded too girlie) and was relieved when he could actually hear himself.  With the Greymander at the ready he again tries to prepare himself for battle.  It was at this point that he began his battle with the Greymander that was desperately trying to force him into combat with the Beast. 

Claude is now forced to try and deal with three of the woodland creatures who have converged on him despite not making any noise since the initial outburst of seeing the creature.  He takes three clumsy cuts at the creatures and manages to hit them each time.  While none drop they are certainly worse for wear.  At this point the Greymander nearly leaps out of his hands in displeasure due to his choice of combatants.

Claude ignores the sword and the woodland creatures and once again tries to buff himself to face the terrible creature.  He succeeds but is now overwhelmed by the power of the sword.  He cannot stay his hand any longer and launches himself at the creature dealing two blows that were pure ecstasy for the Greymander.  Claude then watched in dismay as the creatures soul was ripped from where it was heading and was absorbed into the sword.

When Claude has time to survey the scene he is deeply saddened by the lose of Lennie...again.  Something inside of him is different now.  He looks at the beast and thinks....you know, they really aren't that scary after all.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 09:56:39 PM »
Good stuff from both, 25 xp for Valizar and Claude.

In another note, make sure all characters are aged to the 7th day of the 10th month of 786.

We don't need to get a lot done on the boards.  Just healed up and plans on how you get to the estate and what you take.  We will pick up with the next session of this in May.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 10:14:07 PM »
I forgot to total posting xp from last week, so here it is:

Reik - 20

Shadow - 10

Grant - 30

Valizar - 25

Claude - 10

Haas - 20

Ash - 10

Offline Terrorshard

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 10:50:36 PM »
Ash:  It made sense.  Wait for the beast, ambush, then cut off it's retreat.  Even good plans can turn out poorly. 

So we waited and hid in what little high ground there was.  My companions become restless.  We are the hunters, but this time it felt like we were the hunted, waiting to be felled.

The hunt begins and my senses heighten.  The trees...  They move?  An ambush?  Of course...we thought we were the ambushers.  What a fool I was to underestimate them.  Had to act quickly...Claudes talent conceal my move and improve my sight.  Valizaar...there is work to be done.  He didnt need to be told again. 

I get there first.  No time to wait...the beast approaches.  Wretched Fey casting spells.  They don't notice me.  I let loose a volley of poison arrows.  They didnt know what hit them. 

Two down but there are 3 left.  Before I know it evil magic reveals me.  The fey return the savagery I sent.  Their magic saps me.  I feel their magics sting.  Then Valizaar arrives and shows them what real savagery is...no remorse.

The beast arrives...I did not fathom such a creature...my courage betrays me.  Predators instincts take over and retreats to the the rally point.  My mind is my own again.  Another fey is there...I dismount predator and engage...I do not feel like myself.  The battle rages with the beast...but I must focus on these fey...

My aim is off so maybe it was luck...but I bury a Mithril arrow deep in its belly.  Shadow arrives in time to knock him out.  He is no longer a threat.  My anger gets the best of me and I kill it.  His decapitated head speaks of a curse...I fear not the dead.

As I turn I see Claude fell the great beast.  The fey flee...out hunt is complete.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:54:41 PM by Terrorshard »

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 11:11:05 PM »
Well done for Ash...25xp to you too.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2014, 11:37:21 AM »
Haas recap: "The last thing I remember is praying for my blessings in the morning. And nothing after that until the beast was dead. Tyrogatore himself must have been controlling my actions that day."

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2014, 11:58:41 AM »
From Tyrogatore's Perspective:

Haas made great preparations to battle the beast.  Haas waited with Lennie and Shadow to engage the beast, having cast many blessing to make himself and his allies mightier.  Haas was delayed by mist, weed, and being slow of foot.  Haas blessed everyone with a wrath so they could better crush the enemies.  Haas defeated the mist with a summons.    The Fey destroyed most of the blessings on Haas.  Haas healed Lennie so he wouldn't die.  Haas celebrated the death of the beast and the defeat of the Fey.  Haas mourned the death of Lennie and Bartlett.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2014, 01:03:20 PM »
Message me (don't post it) if you got a level.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2014, 10:47:22 AM »
DM, can I get a list of what Haas cast and what was dispelled on me?

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2014, 03:48:28 PM »
Here is a list of spells you cast that day:

1st - Enlarge (d), Eyes of the Avoral, 4 x Protection from Chaos
2nd - 3 x Benediction, Divine Insight
3rd - Crown of Might (d), Mass Conviction, Mass Energy Resistance, Invisibility Purge
4th - Champion of Korda, 2 x Freedom of Movement, Mass Shield of Faith
5th - Righteous Wrath
6th - Mass Bull's Strength (d), Stone Body, Heal (from Harm)
7th - Giant Size (d), Summon VII, Persistent Divine Favor

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2014, 04:06:03 PM »
The following spells were active on Haas and got dispelled:

Giant Size, Stone Body, Righteous Wrath, Freedom of Movement, Mass Conviction, Divine Insight, Energy Immunity, Greater Magic Weapon, Superior Resistance, Mass Shield of Faith

What I still see as active are: Delay Poison, Magic Vestment, Divine Favor, Mass Bull's Strength, Protection from Chaos, Invisibility Purge, Champion of Korda

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2014, 07:50:13 PM »
As mentioned previously, Ash and Valizar are in need of some sort of Restoration.  Shadow is badly hurt.  Haas took damage from one tail sweep maybe two, does whoever was keeping Haas' hp remember?