Author Topic: Into the Jaws of the Mad Beast  (Read 10171 times)

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Into the Jaws of the Mad Beast
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 11:09:49 AM »
A listing of what enhancements from the basket everyone got would be good.
Grant got the Peanuts: +10 HP

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 04:37:22 PM »
It occurs to me that every character can cast spells.  More spell lists please.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 11:55:25 PM »
It occurs to me that every character can cast spells.  More spell lists please.

I have the 4 earth domain spell.. and potato bonus (+4 AC)

Offline master po

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 09:09:50 AM »
Claude got the Lucky Bananas +1.  Will do spell list tonight...I hope.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 10:29:36 AM »
A correction on timeline, I said the beast was last seen and defeated 60 years ago, it was 48 years to be precise.

As you walk, Bartlett tells you a bit more.  The Mad Beast was dispatched to kill Juno after he declared war on Scalehome.  However, the beast is a rampaging monster, and once set out it took little care for what is destroyed while searching for Juno.  A group of heroes of the forest banded together to defeat it.  as previously mentioned, that included Juno, Claude's grandfather, a since killed additional slayer, Bartlett, Maris Bradtree (father of Martin), Timothy Bearton and Ganme Falls (halfling warriors from the Wooddukes), and several Fey whose names Bartlett can't remember.  Bartlett says there was also a Vass and Gnolls, but before they fought the beast, the two groups got into a fight.  The gnolls left because of an argument and the Vass later left, having been bribed.  There was also an elven and a Nipit spellcaster who did not come with them, but gave support from afar.  He doesn't remember their names either, but seems to have a low opinion of them.

He recalls that the beast did not have any allies in the fight.  It rushed into their midst and they were ready.  Fifty years and thousands of blows to the head have weakened his memory for details, but he relates some parts.  All three slayers survived, as they stayed back and used bows (although Juno later charged into the fray).  Both halflings were killed in its rampage.  "Being small is a huge problem against the beast."  Only one fey survived, but its wings were torn off.  Maris survived, but his leg was never the same.  Barlett thinks his foot was destroyed.  "It chewed on me for a bit, and the arrows of the slayers killed it while I was in its mouth."  He starts to point to come scars, but then gives up, "Too many to be sure where they are from."

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 12:08:17 PM »
Shadow has the Saving Plum, Lennie has freedom of movement.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 01:13:15 PM »
Haas to Bartlett: "Thank you, Grand Master Champion, for sharing your experience so that we may gain wisdom from your victory. You had mentioned that the effectiveness of your strikes was reduced against the Beast...do you recall if your fists were enchanted for the fight? Some creatures are resistant to mundane weaopns and require one with a magical nature to be effective, whether that means it is graced with a divine blessing or an unsavory arcane taint."

To everyone else OOC: who does not have enchanted strikes?

I will post a full spell list when/if I can (this is my 10th consecutive 10+ hour workday, including the weekend), but in case I don't get to it, here's a brain dump.

Everyone will get a delay poison cast the day before at least.

Could also do an greater resistance (extended) on everyone 2 days before...let me know if you already have at least a +3 resistance bonus to saves so I don't waste the slot.

Bartlett and Haas get superior resistance (extended) 2 days before.

Also have 4 energy immunities too that could be done the day before (Haas, Bartlett, Grant and Claude, I think).

Will be preparing mass conviction, mass energy resistance, invisibility purge, bloodwind (extended) knight's move, stone body, freedom of movt, harm, eyes of the avoral (for Ash), Tyro's imposed muscle strain, assay spell resistance, protection from chaos, blindsight, righteous wrath, summon V. And the strength domain spells < 7th. I think I still have room for more.

How do we plan on closing with this thing? Probably has a huge threatened zone. Bloodwind, knight's move would be good ideas to prepare if you can.

Think anti-life shell would be useful to draw it close? Could stage those with energy immunity in the shell out in the open in hopes of drawing it into melee range without dealing with a charge. Would have to conceal everyone else.

Also debating dictum (lawful version of holy word/blasphemy) for succinctly dealing with the fey. Thoughts? Could be harmful to others though.

My plan is to use giant size (7th str domain), stone body, freedom of movt to beat it senseless.

Let me know if anyone has any special spell requests and I will see what I can do.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 01:16:32 PM »
Haas to Bartlett: "Thank you, Grand Master Champion, for sharing your experience so that we may gain wisdom from your victory. You had mentioned that the effectiveness of your strikes was reduced against the Beast...do you recall if your fists were enchanted for the fight? Some creatures are resistant to mundane weapons and require one with a magical nature to be effective, whether that means it is graced with a divine blessing or an unsavory arcane taint."

"They spellcasters did enchant us."

Offline Terrorshard

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 01:54:04 PM »
Ash has:

lvl1
Longstrider
Hunter's Mercy

lvl2
Swift Haste

lvl3
Arrow Storm

Online Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 05:09:15 PM »
To everyone else OOC: who does not have enchanted strikes?  Valizar has magic strikes.

Everyone will get a delay poison cast the day before at least.Nice.

Could also do an greater resistance (extended) on everyone 2 days before...let me know if you already have at least a +3 resistance bonus to saves so I don't waste the slot.Yes, please.

Also have 4 energy immunities too that could be done the day before (Haas, Bartlett, Grant and Claude, I think).Resistance: acid I suspect would be most effective here.  Do you think it would most benefit those who'll be engaged in close combat like oh...say...Valizar?

Will be preparing mass conviction, mass energy resistance, invisibility purge, bloodwind (extended) knight's move, stone body, freedom of movt, harm, eyes of the avoral (for Ash), Tyro's imposed muscle strain, assay spell resistance, protection from chaos, blindsight, righteous wrath, summon V. And the strength domain spells < 7th. I think I still have room for more.

How do we plan on closing with this thing? Probably has a huge threatened zone. Bloodwind, knight's move would be good ideas to prepare if you can.Not sure we'll have a choice.  The Fey will probably scout us out and warn the beast.  The best way to cancel out the creature's threatened area would be by making us equally large.

Also debating dictum (lawful version of holy word/blasphemy) for succinctly dealing with the fey. Thoughts? Could be harmful to others though.Valizar is TN, so that would be bad for me, but I can't speak for the others.

My plan is to use giant size (7th str domain), stone body, freedom of movt to beat it senseless.The thought of this battle brings a tear to my heavily scarred, reptilian eyes.

Let me know if anyone has any special spell requests and I will see what I can do.Would you be able to cast giant size and freedom of movement on Valizar?  A colossal Valizar would be a game changer.

Spell List
If Haas can cast giant size or, as an alternative, anyone can cast an enlarge person on me that will last longer than my enlarge spell, I'm good.  If not, I'll pray for 1 enlarge person and the rest will be Mighty Wallops.   

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 05:23:59 PM »
To answer for Haas, Giant Size is caster only.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2014, 05:53:01 PM »

Also have 4 energy immunities too that could be done the day before (Haas, Bartlett, Grant and Claude, I think).Resistance: acid I suspect would be most effective here.  Do you think it would most benefit those who'll be engaged in close combat like oh...say...Valizar?

I am preparing a mass energy resistance (acid 30) for everyone else to be cast before we engage. Acid immunity is for the VIPs. And the people without evasion and/or tons of hp.

How do we plan on closing with this thing? Probably has a huge threatened zone. Bloodwind, knight's move would be good ideas to prepare if you can.Not sure we'll have a choice.  The Fey will probably scout us out and warn the beast.  The best way to cancel out the creature's threatened area would be by making us equally large.

We could group up under the anti-life shell, deal with the lead off acid breath, lob a few ranged spells at it, wait for it to charge, laugh as it stops abruptly at the shell, then close with impunity since it couldn't make AoOs.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:46:00 PM by Hero »

Online Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2014, 07:00:34 PM »
To answer for Haas, Giant Size is caster only.
That's a shame.  Well, if anyone would be willing to cast enlarge person on Valizar, I could pray for an extra Mighty Wallop before the fight.

Offline Zunder

• Global Moderator
  • no one is youer then you
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2014, 08:57:29 PM »
Kreigbar doesn't not have enchanted strikes normally, I do have brass knuckles, but they reduce my damange, unless your a spell caster.  Kreigbar does not ask for any enchantments.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2014, 10:44:48 PM »
Lennie's saves are really poor.   Bartlet's are probably better.  It might be betterh to put the superior resistance on Lennie.  We really don't want lennie to be controlled by the Fey.  Also Lennie needs to have his fist enchanted.