House Rules > Tournament Rule Issues

Grapple

(1/4) > >>

Asinjin:
Some issues with grappling can be discussed.  Some issues are:

- is the touch attack to initiate fair? (a common house rule elsewhere is to make touch attacks dex based not str)
- should all creatures be able to grapple?  (like the horse)

Windblade:
I don't have a problem with the touch attack starting a grapple.   I really hate the idea of changing it to dex.  It doesn't make sense to me and it would also ruin Lennie as a character for me.

I do agree that not all creatures should be able to grapple and I believe the DM should make the call on these in game.  A horse is a great example of a creature that wouldn't be able to grapple well but would be hard to grapple.  So all the special modifiers the horse gets should only apply to when is trying to be grappled and not when it is grappling someone.

whitesword:
My hatred of the grappling rules is well known. I would eliminate the strength bonus from all touch attacks for consistency or make it a normal attack to initiate a grapple.

Asinjin:

--- Quote from: whitesword on August 23, 2013, 11:29:33 AM ---My hatred of the grappling rules is well known. I would eliminate the strength bonus from all touch attacks for consistency or make it a normal attack to initiate a grapple.

--- End quote ---

There is a feat...Scorpion's Grasp I believe, that allows you to initiate a grapple upon a successful normal attack.  Changing the touch from str to dex would make that feat even more valuable, and basically a requirement for any strong grappler.

whitesword:
Scorpions Grasp allows you to strike for damage and then attempt a grapple if you hit. I'm saying you should have to succeed on a regular attack roll against the opponents regular AC instead of using touch AC. This would keep the attack as a STR based roll.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version