Author Topic: Fell Drain  (Read 2280 times)

Offline Hero

• View Profile
Fell Drain
« on: September 05, 2011, 03:37:30 PM »
Have a question on the above referenced feat from Libris Mortis. Per the description, it states "any living creature that is dealt damage also gains a negative level". Pretty straight forward for a spell that only deals damage to 1 target for 1 round, like a single fell drain magic missle.

But what about a spell that targets one subject with multiple effects that deal damage? Like a fell drain magic missle that generates 3 missles all aimed at 1 target? Would that deal 3 negative levels?

How about if the spell deals damage over multiple rounds, like a fell drain acid arrow? Does each round the spell deals damage also deal a negative level, or is it only 1 on the first round?

I half-heartedly checked to see if there was any errata or faq on this, but found nothing. Can I get a house ruling?

Also, wasn't sure  how to start a new thread under "house rules" that didn't show up under the massive damage discussion, if anyone can enlighten me I'd appreciate it.

Offline Valdis

• Magnanamous
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Fell Drain
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 07:06:27 PM »
I thought we've played it so that the negative level is on a 'per casting' basis.  So, a magic missile spell with 5 magic missiles, if all of the missiles hit one target, that target still only loses 1 level.  However, if the 5 missiles each target a separate foe, then all foes hit by the missiles lose a level.  In each case, only 1 level is lost per target because the damage results from a single casting

The same way that if you cast a Fell Dell Drain Acid Arrow.  The damage from the spell persists for multiple rounds, but the target only loses 1 level, because the resulting damage is from a single casting of a spell.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
Re: Fell Drain
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 07:57:16 PM »
Was not aware that this was already discussed. Must've been a season I missed.