Author Topic: The New Water Domain  (Read 3582 times)

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
The New Water Domain
« on: February 25, 2012, 07:34:46 PM »
Here is a topic to discuss the new water domain which DM asked me to create since I have the ranking cleric of Lakius.

Here is what DM suggest so far:

1.  Animate Water
3.  Water Breathing
4.  Control Water
5.  Rushing Water, Airy Water
7 Waterspout
8 Flashflood
9 Elemental Swarm (Water only)

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
Re: The New Water Domain
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 07:41:55 PM »
I would suggest the following:

1.  Animate Water
2.  Bo of Water
3.  Heart of Water (I would suggest this instead of Water Breathing because they already have that as there turning ability)
4.  Control Water
5.  Rushing Water, Airy Water
7 Waterspout
8 Flashflood
9 Elemental Swarm (Water only)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 10:27:22 PM »
I like Bo of Water for 2nd.

How about moving one of the 5th level spells to 6th?

Another option for 3rd would be to move Wall of Water up a level.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 11:57:02 PM »
I thought about it but IMO neither really seem to be a good enough spell for a 6th level slot

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 06:25:27 PM »
1.  Animate Water
2.  Bo of Water
3.  Heart of Water
4.  Control Water
5.  Rushing Water
6   Waterspout
7   Elemental Body (Water)
8   Flashflood
9   Elemental Swarm (Water only)

Thoughts?

Granted power the same as in the PHB.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 06:38:23 PM »
I hate the control and turn elementals but if you want to use them then that is fine.  However, if we change the ability for the water then I assume we will have to change the ability for the other elemental domains.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 06:56:43 PM »
The thing to remember about the Turn ability is that it gives you access to all the feats that use the turn charges.  That was one of my major complaints about the original altered domain powers/changes to the clerics that were made when we switched to 3.0.  If you take that flexible ability away and replace it with something like water breathing I think the cleric gets de-powered.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 07:34:02 PM »
The thing to remember about the Turn ability is that it gives you access to all the feats that use the turn charges.  That was one of my major complaints about the original altered domain powers/changes to the clerics that were made when we switched to 3.0.  If you take that flexible ability away and replace it with something like water breathing I think the cleric gets de-powered.

I am a very confused by your comment.   The turn ability granted to the clerics of Lakius is the ability to cast water breathing spells.  Which also can be used to power the divine feats so they basically trade out turn undead to breath water and they can still use the water breathing to power divine feats.  That is DM's call but seems ok to me.

What I am talking about here is the water domain ability which is:

Turn or destroy fire creatures as a good cleric turns undead. Rebuke, command, or bolster water creatures as an evil cleric rebukes undead. Use these abilities a total number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier. This granted power is a supernatural ability.

I don't like that for a domain ability.  This domain ability has nothing to do with the turn undead that clerics gets or water breathing that lakius gets.

That being said I would like to think of another ability for the domain ability for water.  If we do that then we will likely have to do the same for earth, fire, and air.  Just checking to see what everyone thinks.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 08:51:16 PM »
Those elemental domain granted powers are staples, and I don't want to change them.  I did add Swim as a class skill for the Water domain.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 08:57:14 PM »
Those elemental domain granted powers are staples, and I don't want to change them.  I did add Swim as a class skill for the Water domain.

I guess I really don't see them as staples.  I can't even think of a time in a campaign when they were even used. That is part of the reason I don't like them because I don't think they really come up enough in our campaigns.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 09:25:39 PM »
I am a very confused by your comment.   The turn ability granted to the clerics of Lakius is the ability to cast water breathing spells.  Which also can be used to power the divine feats so they basically trade out turn undead to breath water and they can still use the water breathing to power divine feats.  That is DM's call but seems ok to me.

What I am talking about here is the water domain ability which is:

Turn or destroy fire creatures as a good cleric turns undead. Rebuke, command, or bolster water creatures as an evil cleric rebukes undead. Use these abilities a total number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier. This granted power is a supernatural ability.

I don't like that for a domain ability.  This domain ability has nothing to do with the turn undead that clerics gets or water breathing that lakius gets.

That being said I would like to think of another ability for the domain ability for water.  If we do that then we will likely have to do the same for earth, fire, and air.  Just checking to see what everyone thinks.
I may be confused as I have only played one cleric but I have a very distinct memory of a discussion with DM where I expressed my disagreement with many of the clerics losing their turning charges in exchange for spell abilities or feats. If that changed I was not aware.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 09:40:40 PM »
In most cases the new ability is formatted in a way that is qualifies as a replacement for Turning as a prerequisite for feats.  Compture's shapechange; Lakius Water Breathing are both examples of that.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 09:42:02 PM »
I guess I really don't see them as staples.  I can't even think of a time in a campaign when they were even used. That is part of the reason I don't like them because I don't think they really come up enough in our campaigns.

They don't often come up; but they are staples in a sense that many domains give a similar ability.  Plany, all of the Elements, etc.  It is also an ability that you cannot get anywhere else.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 01:29:52 PM »
Unless anyone has any complaints, I will consider this one closed and lock it.