Author Topic: Just one last thing . . .  (Read 23100 times)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
Re: Just one last thing . . .
« Reply #165 on: December 08, 2020, 10:05:04 AM »
Thank you.

A report of the situation in Portet will be posted this afternoon or evening. Until then: Shaar and Kerkley need to be rescued. After a minute or two of rest, and Astrek finding a way to get the slime off, Arion and Martine go and find Oliver and Nisoru to fight the barbarians.

There is no way off the Outlands, so I think we have to wait for Kerkly to get to a town.

Unless we guarantee no more battle that day, I can't go get Shaar.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 08, 2020, 10:06:00 AM »
If we have more then a day between finishing the current battle and going to Portet then Solaris can go get them.  If not then another cleric will have to planeshift to them.

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 08, 2020, 08:05:08 PM »
A lull in the battles against the wug and barbarians begins after dark and a makeshift headquarters forms near the ruins of the gate. Thale has blocked the gate with walls of stone and all of the city’s living archers and artillery men have reached their positions. The wug retreated during the spell barrage after their antimagic skins expired but when darkness fell they renewed their assault on the walls.

Inside, battle against the barbarians becomes vicious street by street, house by house fighting that slows after dark. Queen Irene and her house guard were found safe with the children of the city inside the temple of Stasis.

Oliver and Nisoru find you as people are passing out rations. Oliver has a few wounds and his garb is bloodied. Nisoru has few if any wounds but his usually gleaming mithril armor is darkened. Elayu, always meticulously clean, is covered in gore and finds a clean place on the walls to scrub some of it off.

After the army and city commanders give their reports Gales relates the following:

“When I took Aesculos and Firfin back to Portet it was immediately apparent that the situation was far from ideal. First, we appeared no where near where I intended and I suspected that were were delayed and then hedged out. For those of you that haven’t been there, Portet is city is split east and west by a river, crossed only by a single ancient bridge. The bridge has been destroyed and its rubble is blocking the river. The northwest section of the city is dominated by the high temple of Falan. Firfin and Ajax asked me to take them to the bottom of the hill leading up to the temple, but we appeared on the other side of the river (and I am somewhat thankful for it).

Outside the city, around the temple the city defenders were fighting with the attacking scaled elven forces. Firfin said the battle was about even but then the shadow wyrm appeared. It unleashed its breath weapon upon the defenders and then alighted a’top the temple of Falan.  When we arrived it was still perched on the roof but had torn a hole in it above the great hall. Firfin told me that all of those slain, on either side were immediately rising as undead. As we took stock, I saw the wyrm breathe into the hole and a pulse of green light flashed out and in response dozens of undead appeared around the temple. They have surrounded the temple. I could see Escalon and many others fighting at the foot of the hill. That is where I intended to take Ajax and Firfin across the river when suddenly I heard a word of dark power and I was banished back to the celestial heaven and left in very poor condition. I should not have been able to return so soon but Lady Hemator intervened and returned me to you.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 08, 2020, 09:00:38 PM »
Yikes...Rubius will distribute food and provisions to the wounded and aid in any healing efforts.

"My friends, we should make our way to Portet as soon as possible to aid Ajax and Firfin.  Someone should check on Asinjin and let him know to prepare spells for fighting undead."

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #169 on: December 09, 2020, 10:52:13 AM »
The wug retreated during the spell barrage after their antimagic skins expired but when darkness fell they renewed their assault on the walls.

How many are left when they retreat?

Because I haven't yet detailed it yet, here is the devastation Benlin and his familiar wrought before their retreat:

Draconic polymorph turns them both into Huge Woolly Mammoths.  With haste and elation, a double move takes them 120 feet each round.  They will be enlarged, so they go to Gigantic, which gives them each a 20 foot space.  So each round, they cover 2400 square feet with trample.  Two of them so 4800 square feet a round.  Anyone in that area takes 2d10+25 damage, if we hit with a +19 attack roll.  They can stand and make a -4 AoO.  If they don't make an AoO, they can attempt to make a DC34 reflex save for half damage.

So in the 16 rounds we have that, that is 76,800 square feet of battle field that we clear.  If relevant, I can list the defense we have up; which include displacement and AC over 30 and DR, as well as Spell Resistance and Freedom of movement.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #170 on: December 09, 2020, 11:04:22 AM »
Asinjin prepares more Limited Wishes.  As soon as they camp, he goes out and drops another controls winds on the group, again pushing them into a pile for three hours.  This time I Widen it to get an 2800 foot radius circle.

I can do that three times.  That's 1.5 miles of windstorm for three hours.  If possible, I throw them into the pit.

Once they retreat, they don't get to come back.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #171 on: December 09, 2020, 11:07:57 AM »
Asinjin prepares more Limited Wishes.  As soon as they camp, he goes out and drops another controls winds on the group, again pushing them into a pile for three hours.  This time I Widen it to get an 2800 foot radius circle.

I can do that three times.  That's 1.5 miles of windstorm for three hours.  If possible, I throw them into the pit.

Once they retreat, they don't get to come back.

If need be, once they are all bunched in the center of the windstorm, Benlin and fly above it and Heaven's Trumpet.  I don't think that will be necessary, but it will kill all of the nicely bunched Wugs.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #172 on: December 09, 2020, 11:09:11 AM »
Between the Woolly trampling and the windstorm, we make efforts to get them to flee.  Announcements and calls and parleys.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 09, 2020, 12:18:14 PM »

Because I haven't yet detailed it yet, here is the devastation Benlin and his familiar wrought before their retreat:

Draconic polymorph turns them both into Huge Woolly Mammoths.  With haste and elation, a double move takes them 120 feet each round.  They will be enlarged, so they go to Gigantic, which gives them each a 20 foot space.  So each round, they cover 2400 square feet with trample.  Two of them so 4800 square feet a round.  Anyone in that area takes 2d10+25 damage, if we hit with a +19 attack roll.  They can stand and make a -4 AoO.  If they don't make an AoO, they can attempt to make a DC34 reflex save for half damage.

So in the 16 rounds we have that, that is 76,800 square feet of battle field that we clear.  If relevant, I can list the defense we have up; which include displacement and AC over 30 and DR, as well as Spell Resistance and Freedom of movement.
That's awesome imagery.  I'm really going to miss all these characters once this campaign ends. 

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #174 on: December 09, 2020, 12:33:16 PM »
That's awesome imagery.  I'm really going to miss all these characters once this campaign ends.

Does Rubius want to ride on top and shoot down at leaders as we rampage?

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 09, 2020, 01:00:20 PM »
Does Rubius want to ride on top and shoot down at leaders as we rampage?
Very much so.  Oddly enough, riding a wildy enhanced gigantic wooly mammoth while shooting at evil warmongers was on Rubius' bucket list.  At least I can check that off before the campaign ends.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 01:02:36 PM by Malchia »

Online Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 09, 2020, 05:14:38 PM »
or those of you
... a pulse of green light flashed out and in response dozens of undead appeared around the temple.
Maybe now Ari can officially arrest Falan for creating a weapon of mass destruction in the middle of Portet. I knew that inanimate carbon rod was going to be a problem. 

Offline whitesword

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 09, 2020, 06:29:11 PM »

There are about 75000 wug and kobolds left when the antimagic expires. The mammoths wreak havoc throughout the “lines”. The kobolds in particular get the worst of it. The wug clear out as soon as it begins. The battlefield is close to 3,000,000 square feet (5000x600, irregular in shape) so you’re most effective breaking the lines behind the front, who are still trying to move forward.

They retreat into the maw and wait out the wind storms.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #178 on: December 09, 2020, 06:43:50 PM »
There are about 75000 wug and kobolds left when the antimagic expires. The mammoths wreak havoc throughout the “lines”. The kobolds in particular get the worst of it. The wug clear out as soon as it begins. The battlefield is close to 3,000,000 square feet (5000x600, irregular in shape) so you’re most effective breaking the lines behind the front, who are still trying to move forward.

They retreat into the maw and wait out the wind storms.

Each Windstorm is 6,000,000 square feet.  (3.14 x 1400 x 1400).  That should get everyone.

They are not waiting out being caught in hurricane winds for three hours, they are dying.

To be clear, I am not trying to block their path, I cast it on them.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 06:45:47 PM by Asinjin »

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 09, 2020, 08:13:39 PM »
Each Windstorm is 6,000,000 square feet.  (3.14 x 1400 x 1400).
That's even more impressive than the mammoths.  All I can do is shoot arrows, feed people, and silently judge Parker...