Author Topic: Spells  (Read 3665 times)

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
Spells
« on: September 05, 2014, 11:05:20 AM »
One of the trickiest issues with the new addition is the severe dwindling of spell options.  This is due to the lack of materials releases and also that there are fewer spells in the new players' handbook than in 3.5 edition.

Recreating all, most, or even many of the spells is out of the question.  However, some surely are needed.  If you can think of a spell that you want to see back that isn't in existence in the new handbook, post it and we can discuss creating it.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
Re: Spells
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 06:22:40 PM »
I would like to vote to bring back the force descriptor for some spells.  Not a full-on addition of spells, but a tweaking of what we have to work with.  For example, the chromatic orb spell deals all types of energy except force.  Could we just add that to the spell instead of recreating the orb of force spell?  Just a thought.  If not, I vote to bring back orb of force and maybe some of the other force spells. 

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 01:50:27 PM »
This is just a playtest still, right? No sense going through the effort of expanding the spell lists if we don't make 5th ed a regular thing. I say we just use the existing offering and see how it plays.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 02:43:02 PM »
This is just a playtest still, right? No sense going through the effort of expanding the spell lists if we don't make 5th ed a regular thing. I say we just use the existing offering and see how it plays.

You are correct, and I don't plan on recreating many.  However, I thought there may be some out there that are so integral to the style of play we use or the campaign story that we needed to recreate them.

My biggest area of concern in this regard are spells from the domains.  We don't need all of the domains, just ones we are going to use, which may only be NPC ones, as no one has yet say they want to playtest a cleric.

Offline Malchia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 05:07:27 PM »
One interesting bit of information for all of us spellcasters out there is that they did away with familiars.  Gaining the services of a familiar is now a 1st level ritual spell that only a wizard can cast called "find familiar."  The abilities of the familiar are far less potent than that of 3.5 and limited to a handful of simple forms (bat, cat, crab, hawk, etc.).  If it reaches 0 HP, it simply vanishes until you cast the ritual again, or you can temporarily dismiss it into a pocket dimension as an action and make it reappear as an action.     

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 12:04:25 PM »
The following spells have different names....although I have not detailed the names yet.

- Arms of Hadar
- Armor of Agathys
- Hunger of Hadar

This is in addition to all of the known ones: Otto, Mordenkainen, Tasha, etc; which simply have the proper name dropped from the spell title.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 12:30:11 PM »
I was wrong when I described Ritual Casting to some of you.  You still need to prepare the ritual spells, however, you can cast them as a ritual (a ten minute casting time) and it does not use up one of your daily spell slots.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 10:58:47 AM »
Spells from the Modern Magic PDF are all allowed, however many are not applicable because they mostly effective technology.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 11:04:34 AM »
All spells from the Elemental Evil players companion PDF are allowed.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 09:04:19 PM »
So in response to 2 of the rules questions that came up last night:
  • Spells with a casting time of bonus action - If you cast a bonus action spell, you can't cast another spell in the same round unless it's a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action (PHB p202)
  • Casting in combat - Couldn't find anything on this topic, so I guess you can cast in melee with impunity. However, if the spell cast requires a ranged spell attack roll (like Char's eldritch blasts) then it is done with disadvantage per the ranged attack rules (PHB p195)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 09:06:00 PM by Hero »

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 07:29:04 PM »
That's good rule knowledge, thank you.