Author Topic: Turn/Control Domain Powers  (Read 2140 times)

Offline Hero

• View Profile
Turn/Control Domain Powers
« on: February 02, 2017, 09:10:04 PM »
Some domain powers give the ability to turn or command things such as Air, Earth, Fire, Water, Plant. The Air Domain power reads:

"Turn or destroy earth creatures as a good cleric turns undead. Rebuke, command, or bolster air creatures as an evil cleric rebukes undead. Use these abilities a total number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier."

So the question I have is this: does this domain power count towards fueling divine feats, such as "divine might," that typically require the ability to turn or rebuke undead?

Finn has the ability to turn undead (3+Cha mod times/day) as a cleric of Habastly, and to command plants (3+Cha mod times/day) from the Plant domain. Could either pool be used to power divine feats (if he had them)?

Offline Windblade

• View Profile
Re: Turn/Control Domain Powers
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 09:45:40 PM »
I don't think we ever ruled on this.  That is an interesting question.  In my opinion they would be different and not be usable.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 10:06:15 PM »
My impression was there is only one pool of turns and that the domains simply add additional choices of things that you can turn.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.

Offline Hero

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 11:01:27 PM »
Plant domain: "Rebuke or command plant creatures as an evil cleric rebukes or commands undead. Use this ability a total number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier."

Separate count provided in the domain ability, so separate pool.

The question is whether or not they can be used to fuel divine metamagic.

Divine feat type description in Complete Divine (where that feat type first appeared) only addresses turn undead. But we play with alternative domain abilities like stunning fist and water breathing, which we've ruled can be used to power divine feats, so I'm not sure it's very clear.

Part of me wants to vote to let them apply to divine feats just to see these domain abilities get some use - how many times has someone turned an air/earth/fire/water/plant creature in game?

On the other hand, if we let them apply to divine feats, things could get out of control. A cleric of Habalstly with the earth and plant domains would get 3*(3+Cha mod) turn uses per day. Lakius air/water domains would have the same result. Divine metamagic(persist) is achievable at level 1.

Offline Asinjin

• DM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Habololy
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 10:02:23 AM »
One suggestion is to allow them to be used, but they cannot stack with others for feats that require that.  So in the Persist example, you could not use some of you Plant and some of your Undead turns together to persist a spell.
The hand that rolls the Dice rules the world.